Pietrasanta's Duomo

St. Martins Church in Pietrasanta: "the Duomo cathedral".

Some historical and artistic information:
Founded in 1223.
Pope Urbano VI, in 1387, named it Collegiate Church granting it Baptismal Font.

The outside.

The Church has three aisles clad with local white marble.
The three lunettes, placed over the doors, represent: the Crucifixion, the Deposition, the Resurrection. The door, on the right hand side, has a lunette with St. John the Baptiste by Bonuccio Pardini ( 13th century). The front shows three small basriliefs with the crest of Pietrasanta whereas the other two bear witness of the rule by Genoa and Florence over the town.
The coat of arm of Pope Leone X is above the main daor, a masterpiece by the flarentine scluptor Donato Benti (15th century). The rose-window is by Riccomanni (13th century).

The interior.

The interior has the latin cross shape and has been restored many times following different architectural styles, the most important one having taken place in 1627 by order of the Duchess Cristina of Lorena. The Altars and the marble Confessionals date back to the latest restyling.
The paintings in the Confessionals are work of the florence painters of the Medicean Court. The imposing Cross wer the apse and the candle putti are valuable works by Tacca (1649).
The marble pulpit may be considered a masterpiece; the hexagonal bowl has high relief carvings by Donato Benti (1508); the pedestal by Lorenzo Stagi (1504), the staircase consists of a single marble piece finely carved by Andrea Baratta (1696). The walls and the ceilings were painted by the milanese artist Luigi Ademollo between 1823 and 1825.

In the Chapel of the Holy Sacrament we find a wooden Cross that dates back to 1300. In he opposite Chapel the painting of the Madonna of the Sun (Sole) patron Saint of the Town and of the Pietrasanta Municipality. This painting dates back to 1424 by unknown author. It represents the Holy Virgin with the Child between St. John the Baptiste and St. John Apostle.
The painting is always hidden to the sight except for few days of the year in remembrance of some miracles made by the Lady in favour of the citizens.

The magnificent dome was originally built as an octagonal shape in 1453.
The present round shape was re-built in 1820.

The Bell Tower.

The brick church tower that stand on the side of the Collegiata (collegiate church) is an unfinished work, as the original project provided for a marble coverture.
Builded between the end of the XV and the early XVI century, it is tall about 36 meters.
In the inside a masterworked helicoidal shaped staircase, unique of its kind.
The spiral staircase was designed by Michelangelo Buonarroti.
The works had heen directed by the Florentine architect and sculptor Donato Benti.

@ Pier Luca Mori 2024

Camaiore, Lucca (Italy)