Surroundings of Versilia.

Camaiore, Massarosa and Viareggio. La Lucchesia, Garfagnana e Lunigiana

Riviera versilieseCollegiata di San MartinoTouristic Versilia is a 160 square km area, in the North-western coast of Tuscany.
However, there are people who believe, and we are among these, that Versilia is geographically identifiable with the old district of Pietrasanta, later vicariate, born as a Medici’s enclave thanks to the document issued by Pope Leone X on the 29th of September 1513.
(To learn more about this document, check “Archivio Storico” of the district of Pietrasanta, Berto Corbellini Andreotti "Il Lodo di Leone X").

Nowadays, touristic Versilia is composed by the districts of Pietrasanta, Forte dei Marmi, Seravezza and Stazzema.
These districts belong to the Diocese of Pisa while the districts of Viareggio, Camaiore and Massarosa to the Diocese of Lucca.
The Bull issued by Pope Pio 6 in 1799 established it.
The latter three districts are different from Versilia because of their territory, their dialect, their habits, their customs, and their history.